Thursday, December 17, 2009

K-1: Nikkan Sports Masato Interview Part 2

練習前、神棚に向かい祈る魔裟斗
Masato praying before a training session

Following is my translation of Masato's comments from the second part of the
exclusive interview in the Japanese sports newspaper Nikkan Sports, posted yesterday on their website.

Thanking his wife for her help preparing for the Dec 31 fight


"She began preparing me meals to help me get leaner from around two months before the fight. Dinner is mostly vegetables, and the meat I eat is mostly pork. My wife is quite a good cook. She's a licensed nutritionist and studies quite a lot. She really knows a lot about nutrition, and I really appreciate it. I think she appreciates being with me also, because to stay together you both need to appreciate one another."


On eating in now, versus eating out in the six years they dated


"She often makes stewed vegetables and meat (mushinabe). She'll start with grated radish, then add lots of vegetables on top, and above that, pork. Vegetables fill you up without putting on weight. I like it because I can eat a lot. I think her recipe was even on TV once."

Showing thanks to his parents as well


"My parents always come to my fights. I have lots of relatives also. On the day of my fights, I always eat four or so rice cakes my mother makes for me. I've done this for 12 years, since my very first fight. She always brings them for me. When I fight in Osaka and Aichi, since my mother's family is from Aichi, they make them there and bring them to the fight. The recipe is not that sweet, and I think they have passed it down in the generations.

"I was around 10 pounds when I was born. I must have been eating while I was still inside my mom. I was born healthy, and I'm happy for that, although I don't usually say so (laughingly)."

Source: www.nikkansports.com

No comments:

Post a Comment