Monday, December 14, 2009

K-1: K-1 Masato Interview Part 3

Following is Part 3 of my translation of Masato's interview with K-1, posted in Japanese on the K-1 site.

Q: Do you feel a sense of regret in leaving?
A: A sense of regret? No, not at all.

Q: Why did you decide to keep challenging yourself, even at the end?
A: I've always challenged myself in my life as a fighter. Back when I was doing kickboxing, they told me not to mess with the K-1 heavyweight division. But I knew I could put on a more exciting fight, and I went after the heavyweight division. Then I went after the Japanese title in K-1 MAX and won it. I later got beat by Kraus, but I challenged him again. Then, I became champion. I kept winning and challenging myself, and this is just the last challenge.

Q: You've been the best in the world twice, but you still want a challenge?
A: Because that's in the past now.

Q: Does the champion really need to be challenged?
A: If I don't then it will be over. It will be a challenge for me even after I retire, in life. In fact, it will probably be even more of a challenge after I retire, since I don't really know what to do. Life is a challenge.

Q: And that's why you picked Souwer?
A: Yes, because I have unfinished business with him. And I won't regret it, even later in life. I think I would actually regret not fighting him.

Q: What is K-1 to you?
A: K-1? Hmm, my youth I guess (laughingly).

Q: So, how long was your "youth" then?
A: Well, I started kickboxing at 18, so 12 years I guess. That was my youth. At least I want to think so, now that I'm older.

Q: Was it bittersweet?
A: Bittersweet, difficult, and fun all together. That's youth, right? (laughingly)

Q: And love?
A: Love? Yeah, well, again it is youth.

Q: It must have been tough as a job I would imagine?
A: There was pressure, and a lot of rough things happened, but that was because I wasn't doing it for other people. I was doing it for me.

Source: www.k-1.co.jp

No comments:

Post a Comment