Saturday, December 12, 2009

K-1: Masato's Last Interview Before Retirement




It appears the Nikkan Sports interview series I mentioned yesterday may not run in the online edition, but I am keeping my eyes open for it. Instead, here is Part 1 of a translation of an interview with Masato posted on the Japanese-language K-1 site Dec 10.

Masato, who will be fighting his farewell fight against Andy Souwer the New Years Eve Fields Dynamite (Dec 31, Saitama Super Arena), answered what may be his final interview before retiring. In the interview, Masato talks about "the nature of a challenge."


I'm Not Mike Tyson


Q: You will be fighting Andy Souwer on New Years Eve
A: I'm happy. I got a chance for revenge.

Q: So you're ready to get revenge?
A: Yeah, I feel like I have unfinished business.

Q: And that's something you can't have as a fighter?
A: I have to beat Souwer. I've already lost to him twice.

Q: Do you feel a sense of regret?
A: A sense of regret, or that Souwer thinks he's stronger, but I know I'm stronger from the start. And he knows that, that's why he didn't want to fight me first...said he didn't want to get me in the first fight.

Q: So you're pleased with your opponent on New Years Eve?
A: Of course.

Q: Aren't you worried that you've lost twice to Souwer in past tournaments?
A: Not at all.

Q: And you have a plan to win?
A: Of course. Of course we have a plan.

Q: And a way to counter Andy Souwer?
A: A way to counter him...look I'm doing this to knock him out. Didn't I say before? I'm going to become Mike Tyson on New Years Eve. I said so, right? And that's what I've been training for. But I decided not to be Mike Tyson.

Q: What? Why?
A: Today I'm saying I'm not going to be Mike Tyson. I want to go out with a little more glory. That's why no Mike Tyson.

Source: www.k-1.co.jp

1 comment:

  1. Just say it, Masato: "I'm retiring to work on my pompadour"

    I was wondering the other day why Japanese people like Mike Tyson so much. Is it an economic apex thing? After the bubble collapse in '92, it just seems like the collective taste entered a stasis, be it an infatuation with Bon Jovi and Mr Big or Mike Tyson. Or is it just because he was the last great heavy weight? Or because he proved that "shorter" people can kick some ass too (term used loosely since he's 2 inches taller than me).

    ReplyDelete