Wednesday, December 16, 2009

K-1: Nikkan Sports Masato Interview Part 1

魔裟斗「石井vs吉田とレベル違う」/連載 - 格闘技ニュース

Nikkan Sports has started posting its exclusive Masato interview series on it's website, so here is my translation of Masato's comments from the first part of the interview.


On the Ishii vs. Yoshida fight


"I think it's good. There will be plenty of people there who want to see what kind of fight Ishii has, and the fans are getting a good deal with that fight on the card too. If I were a fan, I'd want to see that fight on the card also. He's a gold medalist, so his fight and my fight are the draw on the card."


On Satoshi Ishii, Judo Gold Medalist


"He's a gold medalist. That's an amazing thing, the gold medal. But, if you're talking about which fight will be more interesting, then I'm confident mine will be. First, I'm better looking (laughingly). And it will be a completely different fight -- I'm at a different level than him. I mean, if I as the K-1 champion said I want going to give Judo a go, people would talk about it. But it wouldn't really be a big deal, right? That's what I mean. So what if I said I practiced Judo for two years, it wouldn't be a bid deal."


On the fight with Souwer


"This is a fight between me and him. All I'm thinking about is winning. Honestly, it's all about pride. I'm the one that's lost to him twice and is challenging him again. This is for me, not for everyone watching. I'd really rather have everyone think of the Ishii vs. Yoshida fight as the main event. Because it doesn't matter to me. I was watching TV the other night, and everyone said that Souwer would win. In the past, I would have cared, but now I actually enjoy it. Because I really don't think I'm going to lose."


On his current training menu


"(Since last year's win at K-1 MAX) I have more stamina and power now. This year, I started lifting weights for the first time in four years, and at first I couldn't bench press more than 130 pounds, but yesterday I put up 220 five times. Since three years ago I've been doing 800 meter runs, 3-5 in around 2:40 each. Then a 400 meter sprint after that. It's tough, but I'm doing it to win. I hate losing. I definitely have more strength than then. You'd be amazed at my body now. I'm in the best shape ever. I look great."


Source:
www.nikkansports.com

No comments:

Post a Comment